Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm an idiot

I look at the floors in our house every day. I walk on them. They even wind up in a lot of our pictures.




















I don't know why it didn't occur to me until today, that I could use the same stuff to stain the guitar with.

Check it out. Minwax red mahogany.






























So I learned that transtint dye diluted with alcohol is pretty difficult to spread evenly, both upon bare wood, and over shellac seal coats. And transtint dye diluted with water can make the wood cup (warp) outward, even when applied very lightly, and I don't like that. It's also tough to get the color right with the dyes I used.

The minwax applies evenly, and has a nice transparent look to it. Plus, it's cheap. Amazing.

You can't tell in my earlier pictures, but the dye diluted with water gets the color close, but it leaves a dead, fuzzy, and dull look on the wood. The Minwax looks very light, natural, and iridescent. It isn't fake looking.

I plan to pick up some Minwax dark walnut and see what that looks like. I'll also try a mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment