Tuesday, May 18, 2010

French polish

I decided a few days ago that more pore fill with the Behlen's pore-o-pac was going to make the guitar too dark. And yesterday I had a mishap where I thought that using pumice only to fill the remaining pores would work. It turns out that it just dissolves the finish and ruins the stain color.

So I thought the best thing to do, with the pores mostly filled already, would be to just start doing build coats on the finish and then sanding them back with 600 grit sandpaper to level out the surface. Looks like it's working.

I have a hook on my work bench that goes thru the soundhole.







































Here's pretty much what the whole surface of the guitar now looks like.
















And here's a small area on the back that I worked on tonight.

2 comments:

  1. ok. here's where you're going wrong, pal. you're gonna want to scrape that crap off and put on some FREEDOM POLISH.

    ReplyDelete